Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Ade Soundtrack of [2012]

2012 was an eventful and dramatic year. Lots of bullshit happened but this won't focus on that but the soundtrack that made it bearable. Songs that moved me, songs that impressed me. Songs that made my day with a smile.

I have to admit it was difficult playing these songs I love so much because my ipod was faulty. An 80gb ipod that could only contain about 1500 songs out of my library of 10,000. I had to play most songs a laptop...I don't fancy playing songs from phones. I'm one of those that believe each object had its use. Even if my phone had 80gb memory space I won't drop an ipod for it. A phone is a phone.

Back to business...


Most Impressive Pop Song: "All These and Heaven" by Florence + the Machine. A song that attempts to explain the complex nature of emotions by focusing on how complex the nature of emotions was.

Most Impressive Pop Album: "Some Nights" by fun. This was also my most impressive album of the year. I got the album after the single "We Are Young" peaked on itunes chart. I gave the album a listen and it's still on repeat. I like the fact it wasn't one of the usual sound. It sounded "full" and "rich" with lots of experiment.

I played it a whole lot on my way to work and was a great way to start my day.

Most Impressive Collaboration: "Beneath Your Beautiful" by Labrinth ft. Emeli Sande. From the day I watch the video on TV I knew this was a beautiful collaboration. I got Emeli's album "Our Version of Events" after. Another beautiful record.

Most Impressive Rock Album: "Ceremonials" by Florence + The Machine. The album had the same effect as her previous work, "Lungs", you appreciate it with subsequent listens. "Ceremonials" cut across different genres but what remains the same was that voice. For instance, I watched Florence on Youtube sing Drake's "Take Care" and Beyonce's "Halo", she delivered it in such a way that could only be classified as Florence.

Most Impressive Nigerian Song/ Artiste: "Dance for Me"/ Wiz Kid. This guy knows how to sing about what you've heard so many times in a way you've heard countless times, and still make it stand out. I have no idea how long his run would last but for now, Wiz Kid undoubtedly is the cream of the crop.


Artiste to Watch in 2013: EMINEM. I have no doubt 2013 would be the year of Marshall Matters. Eminem drops what will probably be his final LP and I have no doubt it's going to be the most successful album next year. This is Eminem and he does no wrong (maybe on "Relapse").


Last year I predicted Nicki Minaj would be the biggest act in 2012, I was wrong. But this time I'm more confident of my choice. The only thing that could stop Em is if he goes Dr. Dre and decide not to release an album.

Playlist of [2012]

"Stars" by fun.

"All These and Heaven" by Florence + the Machine

"No Regret" by Dappy

"Back Down South" by Kings of Leon

"Beneath Your Beautiful" by Labrinth ft. Emeli Sande

"No Light, No Light" by Florence + the Machine

"Lucky Ones" by Lana Del Rey

"Thinking About You" by Frank Ocean

"Taken for a Fool" by The Strokes

"The Worry List" by Blue October

"Sometime Around Midnight" by The Airborne Toxic Event

"The Funeral" by Band of Horses

"Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall" by Coldplay

"The Show" by Lenka

"I Won't Give Up" by Jason Mraz

No comments:

Post a Comment