Saturday, July 28, 2012

Death has to be Easy 'Cause Life is Hard

The functionalist view of the society suggest some things we see/experience around us were necessary for the society to function. Regardless if we found it favourable or not. The terrorists, criminals, rapists....all these people had functions in the society, such functions would be directly/indirectly related to YOUR purpose in life. For instance, if we had no criminals there wouldn't be much use for lawyers. Also, the absence of criminals would mean great movies like Oceans Eleven would never be made.

 I noticed early in life all fingers were not equal, that there were those who couldn't afford my leftover and those I couldn't afford theirs. I learnt of the inequality called life, and death might be the only experience we humans shared in common. I noticed individuals that lived in terrible conditions that made me ask myself "is this necessary for our society to function effectively?" Sure I knew the answer but reluctant to admit it. These individuals were those I regard as living in about-to-die conditions. Those living on the edge I believe would be better off dead. Those that make me say death has to be easy because life is hard.


 As a kid I look at those people and walk away with little or no guilt. In my twenties now, things have changed. I could decide to assist someone less privilege. Even with the choice and capability I've acquired, I realised I walk away most of the time. I ask myself "how many can I help?" and walk away. I had to rationalise to clear my conscience.


 There was this old woman I saw early in the morning on my way to the university years ago. If I was to guess her age it would be within the range of 70 to 80 years old. I left for school early, before 7 o'clock, and this woman was out by then. She sat by the road side at a busstop close to First Bank, Bariga branch, selling razor blade. She would have between 7 to 10 packs and scream "blade ni o" to attract potential customers. I say with confidence there were days her wares couldn't fetch more than ₦100, yet she was up before sunrise to sell goods which revenue couldn't cover my bus fare for the day. What good would that money do to her? She was aged and probably had kids and grand kids, I wonder what their take was on her trying to make a living in an age where she was suppose to be profiting from the fruits of their labour. I could give this woman ₦5,000 but I won't. I would rather spend it on cinema tickets. I walk away and tell myself I would help people like her when I'm a millionaire. With loads of cash I would be very charitable but who am I deceiving, claiming to be benevolent after assisting someone when the real cost was totally insignificant.


 My friend Uncle Oshio had a sensitive side to such situations. There was an old man, probably approaching his 90s that sold Q-tips by the road side. This man was also in an about-to-die condition but still needed that ₦ to survive. Uncle Oshio bought all he had to sell one day and it cost about ₦70 (I can't remember the exact amount) but it was change. I'm not interested in the monetary value but the act. It reminded me of the old woman, even if I didn't have ₦5,000 to give the least I could was to buy. We can't be that sensitive always. Most times it was easier to walk away because of the burden we carried and it wasn't wise to put another's man own on our shoulders. At such situations we might be regarded as heartless by others due to their ignorance of our personal plight.


 An old man I had no idea how we was able to get on his feet did menial jobs. The reason I believe people gave him tasks to do was to find an excuse to give him money and still feel they weren't being...cheated? There was an occurence where a man hired him to cut the shrubs and weed in front of his house. He paid him and left for work. He returned to find they were still there untouched while those around the house next his were cut nicely. The man got vexed and sought the old man for an explanation. The old man claimed he did the work. Apparently the old man did cut the shrubs and weed but not the one he was paid to do. His sense of reasoning was already failing. The man suggested the old man repay him or cut those in front of his house. People felt pity for the old man but no one could voluteer to assist. Someone made a statement about the man being insensitive to the old man's condition. But like I said, no one was willing to bring out a cutlass to assist. All they could give was sympathy because it was cheap.


 There's a maid in my area. The house help was less than 10 years old, serious child labour. At an early age her family pushed her into such to raise extra income. Her future had been greatly affected because I saw this girl writing one day. Her handwriting was like calligraphy, beautiful. She wrote about her family and primary school she attended before she became a full-time house help. She had been deprived of functioning at her full potential and in years time, she might become that woman who sat by the road side in Bariga, screaming "blade ni o".

5 comments:

  1. I WOULD HAVE CRIED AN HOUR UPON READING YOUR POST BUT YOUR STATEMENT THAT IF CRIMINALS DO NOT EXIST THERE WONT BE MUCH USE FOR LAWYERS IS A FALLACY THAT FOR REASON OF MY PROFESSIONAL CALLING, I CAN NOT BUT RETORT.

    IN EVRY AREA OF YOUR LIFE, YOU NEED A LAWYER. FOR INSTANCE, TO DIE, YOU NEED A LAWYER. AS LEAST TO DRAW UP YOUR WILL OR GET LETTERS OF ADMINISTRATION FOR YOUR ESTATE.

    TO ESTABLISH YOUR BIZ, U NEED A LAWYER OR ACCOUNTANT OR A CHARTERED SECRETARY(WHO ARE USUALLY LAWYERS ALSO) TO INCORPORATE A COMPANY FOR YOU IF YOU CHOOSE THAT WAY.

    TO BUY LAND, YOU NEED THE SERVICES OF A LAWYER TO VERIFY THAT YOU ARE NOT BEING DUPED.

    TO GET MARRIED, YOU NEED A LAWYER AS THE REGISTRAR OF THE FEDERAL REGISRTY WHICH IS THE MAIN BODY EMPOWERED BY LAW TO ISSUE MARRIAGE LICENSES IS ONE. TO GET DIVORCED ONCE YOU MARRY UNDER THE LAW, YOU ALSO NEED A LAWYER AS U MUST HEAD TO THE HIGH COURT.


    I THINK I HAVE GIVEN ENUFF EXAMPLES. SO WETIN LAWYERS DEY DO SEF? SMALL U DON KNOW...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "For instance, if we didn't have criminals there wouldn't be much use for lawyers"

      You know what, I can rationalise & give reasons to support my statement...maybe I would [I don't know yet, I'm still typing]. For one, you attempted to make me ignorant of the law profession. I appreciate your effort but your comment read like an answer to the question- What are the functions of a lawyer? (20 marks).

      Since you took the sentence literally & out of context, I might as well do the same thing to yours. If you represent the quality of lawyers our universities churn out, I fear.

      "FOR INSTANCE, TO DIE YOU NEED A LAWYER." Really? So lawyer are like the angel of death or something like that. I mean, you actually believe lawyers were so important they played a role in an individual death. That means if I don't have a lawyer I can't die. Stupid¡

      "TO BUY LAND, YOU NEED THE SERVICES
      OF A LAWYER TO VERIFY THAT YOU ARE
      NOT BEING DUPED" So lawyers don turn Omo Onile. If you were referring to Nigeria...I mean, you can't be referring to Nigeria. Ah han! Land? Nigeria? Lawyer? One chance.


      "TO GET MARRIED, YOU NEED A LAWYER AS THE REGISTRAR OF THE FEDERAL REGISRTY WHICH IS THE MAIN BODY EMPOWERED BY LAW TO ISSUE MARRIAGE LICENSES IS ONE. TO GET DIVORCED ONCE YOU MARRY UNDER THE LAW, YOU ALSO NEED A LAWYER AS U MUST HEAD TO THE HIGH COURT."
      apart from your typos which made it difficult to understand. [Like, is the lawyer mine or that of the Federal Registry]. Let me tell you a short story, Once upon a time [time, time] There was a Nigerian billionaire I will name Deinde Fernandez. His wife wanted to divorce him and part with half of his asset. He told her "we only had a traditional ceremony it wasn't official". The End.

      I want to be like the guy in my story and not allow a chic part with half my glory when she is going. According to you, I don't need a lawyer if I want to make it easy.


      Next time, don't be eager to prove a point. If you want to don't try to bring the person down or make them look stupid. Say things like "I respect your opinion but..." OR "I never saw things that way, I believed..." that way the person would read your opinion without the anticipation to criticise after. I didn't read that anywhere but being opinionated made me come up with ways to make people listen.

      With that said I really appreciate your comment. The fact that I paused the movie I was watching to respond is a testimony to that fact. Next time I would be watchful of phrases that could be interpreted out of context.

      Thank You.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. I WAS ONLY REPLYING TO THE GENERAL AND SPECIFIC STATEMENT YOU UTTERED. YES, TO BUY LAND, YOU NEED THE SERVICES OF A LAWYER TO VERIFY THAT THE LAND YOU ARE ABOUT TO PURCHASE IS INDEED GENUINE. THE REGISTRAR OF THE FED MARRIAGE REGISTRY( WHO IN TURN ISSUES LICENSES TO VARIOUS PEOPLE TO OPERATE A REGISTRY) UNDER THE LAW MUST BE A LAWYER.

      YES, YOU COMMITTED A FALLACY BY YOUR GENERALIZED STATEMENT WHICH COULD BE MISINTERPRETED TO MEAN THAT ALL LAWYERS DO IS PROSECUTE AND DEFEND CRIMINALS WHICH IS A POPULAR FALLACY IN THIS YONDER PARTS AND I ONLY TRIED TO PROVE TO YOU WITH PRACTICAL EXAMPLES THAT THE LEGAL PROFESSION ENCOMPASSES A WHOLE LOT THAN THAT.

      AND YES, TO DIE, YOU DO NEED THE SERVICES OF A LAWYER, EITHER TO DRAW UP YOUR WILL(SO THAT YOUR BENEFICIARIES CAN BE TAKEN CARE OF AS YOU WISH) OR YOUR ESTATE WOULD HAVE TO SEEK FOR THE SERVICES OF ONE TO SECURE LETTERS OF ADMINISTRATION SO THAT THEIR TITLE TO THE DECEASED'S ESTATE CAN BE LEGALIZED.

      LASTLY, I WAS NOT EAGER TO PROVE A POINT OR TRYING TO BRING YOU DOWN OR OTHERWISE, I WAS JUST TRYING TO ELUCIDATE YOU IN CASE YOU REALLY THOUGHT ALL LAWYERS DO IS DEFEND CRIMINALS.

      HAVE A NICE WEEK.

      Delete
    4. You really want to prove a point to someone who you could attempt to convince for hours and his response would be "Opinion Noted". Can't you just, please let it be.

      Imagine if a Movie producer were to respond to the statement. He would say, "Movies like Ocean's Eleven would still be made even with the absence of criminals, after all, man isn't living on Mars and nothing is stopping us from making movies about living there. And having super heroes flying to the sun in seconds".

      If I am using my imagination to write, I expect you to use the same to read. I know enough about Law. I have close friends who are lawyers and now practising. I've gone through books based on Land Law, Jurisprudence, Contracts...Tort.

      I loved Law, that was the first course I chose for my University of Lagos Diploma entrance exam until I saw like a thousand other people applied for it. Then I changed to Psychology because I just wanted to gain admission/graduate with no stress [which I did].

      So I get the fact, you are studying law and hope it provides a steady source of income for your future.

      Delete